Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Two in a row

My left knee was quite swollen from TIR so all of last week was compromised. The knee pain and swelling was actually caused by a very tight muscle in my upper leg. It’s not the IT band…it’s on the other side. After a week of rest and ice I was able to get out for a short run early Sunday morning. I didn’t even consider doing the 7 Hills/TWRC Challenge race Sunday afternoon and was very happy to volunteer and help with the results.

I’m really not an early morning person when it comes to training. I prefer running to close out the day. Monday was perfect. Good day at work, I got home early, did some things around the house, and hit the roads a little after 9pm for 30 minutes. I did some light stretching after and finished with a short core routine. I still have a lot of tightness but it’s much improved over last week.

I’ve set up an actual training schedule for myself that will include a few 5K test points and a steady progression working toward the San Antonio Marathon. Memory is sometimes a very bad thing. I’ve run San Antonio three times finishing in 3:29 twice and 4:45 five weeks after finishing the Arkansas Traveller 100 mile run. I was pretty much wiped out from the 100 miler for about two months. I wish I had a picture of my toes for Karen as I lost 7 toenails from that event. Still an ouch.

The 2008 San Antonio Marathon will be the inaugural year as an Elite Racing Rock-N-Roll event. I have many friends who have already signed up. The local Team In Training chapter will be including it on their schedule and Kim Hager will be doing a program targeting this race. It will be my first marathon since running the Arizona Rock-N-Roll event three years ago. I’m both excited and scared of the task in front of me. I have to train, I have to lose weight, but most of all I have to believe that I can do this and run well again. Right now I believe I can thanks to many great friends.

1 comment:

Viv said...

Woo Hoo, Coach Bill! I will be there cheering on the hubby, and extra cowbell for you.